San Fernando Cathedral has always been at the center of San Antonio. It is a special place that occupies a unique position in this city and for the many visitors who come by the thousands every year. San Fernando Cathedral was founded on March 9, 1731, by a group of 15 families who came from the Canary Islands at the invitation of King Phillip V of Spain and is the oldest, continuously functioning religious community in the State of Texas. This church was planned to be at the center of the life of this city. The Cathedral building has the added distinction of being the oldest standing church building in Texas, and for all of its more than 281 years, has been serving the people of the Archdiocese and San Antonio.
For almost 95 years, San Fernando served as the church for all of the religious denominations of San Antonio as the Catholic Church was the only recognized religion of the Spanish and Mexican governments prior to Texas’ independence. San Fernando has become more than the geographic center; it has become an ecumenical, cultural, civic, and service center of unity and harmony for all the God-loving people of San Antonio and beyond. San Fernando serves as a refuge for many of the poor in this area who come for help and trust their needs will be met. As the first church in the city, San Fernando has a rich history of responding to the people’s needs in and around the church.
The Venues at San Fernando
Welcome to The Venues at San Fernando Cathedral—charming venues in a picturesque setting located in the heart of downtown San Antonio. Discover the venues by experiencing a colonial atmosphere surrounded by history to create a unique, fun, and unforgettable event.
The rental of the venue includes: A1 Bed Bug Exterminator San Antonio
- Use for 7 hours (event must end at midnight)
- Use of tables and chairs (set-up and tear down)
- Clean up (after vendors tear down)
- On-site event manager for the duration of the event
Nearby Restaurants and Pubs
- Stout’s Signature is located at 227 4th St, Suites 101-103, San Antonio, Texas
- Restaurant Gwendolyn is located at 152 E Pecan St #100, San Antonio, TX
- Bourbon Street Seafood Kitchen Downtown located at 103 9th St, San Antonio, TX
- Texas T Pub located at 121 Broadway, San Antonio, TX
- Maddy McMurphy’s Irish Sports Bar located at 420 E Houston St, San Antonio, TX
Check out other attractions like SeaWorld San Antonio